Here are a few gym rules we adhere to at Rehoboth Beach Barbell Club that best reflect our gym’s culture and allows us to foster a fun, safe, clean, and respectful training environment for everyone in our community. This list is hardly all-inclusive, but it pretty much comes down to safety, common courtesy, and respect for others and our equipment.
EQUIPMENT AND FACILITY
- Give us your feedback. We love to hear from our members and guests. If you have something you want to say, please share it with us. Please let us know your gripes as well as your likes!
- Welcome new members. You were once the new kid on the block. Remember when you didn’t know what an AMRAP stood for or where the Abmats were located? Our community is what sets us apart from any other gym. Please introduce yourself to newer members and help them get acquainted with our community. Who knows they may just become your new best friend!
- No one left behind. Your workout isn’t finished until the last member in your group is finished. If you complete your workout before someone else, find someone who hasn’t finished and cheer them on. We guarantee there will be a grueling workout in your future where you will be the last one standing and you may just welcome that extra push or cheer to get you through it.
EQUIPMENT AND FACILITY
- Speak Up. Please bring things to our attention. If you notice that equipment is broken, lights are out, or there’s no toilet paper in the bathroom, bring it to our attention so we can do something about it.
- Clean Up After Yourself. Wipe down your white boards and equipment and keep your bodily fluids off our equipment. Pick up your tape, markers,whiteboards, notebooks, water bottles, clothing and gear. Put away all the equipment you used back where it belongs. Stack the boxes neatly, put the bars in the designated racks, stack the plates in order, and hang up your jump ropes. We pride ourselves on having one of the cleanest gyms in the area. Please help us keep it that way. Set the example and others will follow.
- Keep the Bathrooms Clean. We don’t expect you to be janitors. Just do the simple things like making sure your paper towels and tape end up in the garbage can. If you splash water all over the floor, wipe it up. If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat.
- Respect our Equipment and Facility. Please take care of the equipment. Don’t tie knots in the jump ropes, don’t drag the boxes across the floors and don’t’ drop the kettlebells or dumbbells or any weight for that matter unnecessarily.
- Don’t Drop Empty Barbells. Please do not drop a barbell without weight or when stripping weight off the barbell. This causes serious damage to our very expensive barbells. Plus every time an empty barbell is dropped a kitten dies.
- Chalk Stays in the Bucket. I repeat…Chalk stays in the bucket. I assure you it is not magical fairy dust, so please use it sparingly. And whatever you do, do not use it to mark off your rounds on the floor.
- Respect Our Coaches. Please pay attention when the Coach is explaining the workout and the movements. We ask that you refrain from loading barbells, grabbing equipment, practicing movements or discussing what you had for lunch when the coach is talking. While you may have heard the instruction for a deadlift one thousand times, it may be the first time for the person standing next to you. Besides you may just learn something new and it could be what separates you from your next PR!
- Don’t Load Up Early. Please do not load or place weight on your barbell until you are told to do so by the coach. Trust us, you will be asked to remove the weight from your barbell.
- Don't Frown Upon Scaling. Please do not argue with the coach if they ask you to scale your weight or movement. They are trying to keep you safe and moving effectively and efficiently through the workout. A coach will stop any workout or activity if it is deemed unsafe at any time.
- Kids and Barbells Don’t Mix. We love kids, but we want them to be safe. You're welcome to bring your kids with you if necessary, but all children need to be able to sit unattended at the front of the gym. If they require supervision, please have a responsible adult in attendance to supervise them. If your child is screaming please attend to them. Children are not allowed on the equipment at any time, and must be off the gym floor during classes. This goes for any of our furry, four-legged visitors as well.
- Please control your barbells or any weight you are moving. Do not drop lightweight barbells from overhead. Barbells should only be dumped for safety purposes and out of necessity. We will give you one warning, after that your session is over.
- Don’t Suffer in Silence. If you are injured please let us know before the workout. Remember we can scale and modify any movement! But only you know how your body feels. Train Smart!
- Have Standards. Always use full range of motion and train to the standard we teach. Just because you can do Rx weights doesn’t mean you always should. Lighter and lower is always better than heavier and higher.